Saturday, September 1, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year ...

No, not Christmas ... the beginning of the college football season. Specifically, the first Notre Dame game of the year. If you check out the countdown timer on the left side of the blog, it will tell you the time remaining until the next ND game. That being said, it's a good day. The ND game is on at 2330 (11:30 PM for you non-military types) and the Georgia game is on at 0245 tomorrow morning (yes, I will be watching).

I talked to my sister earlier today, and we both agreed - today, of all days, we miss our Dad. College football was something that the three of us shared for so many years. He was, and is, a Michigan fan. I obviously am an ND man, and my sister is a UGA grad (twice over). We have always rooted for the other's schools, except of course, when playing each other (I secretly root against Michigan, but that's okay, my Dad secretly rooted against the Irish many days ... BTW, Michigan is down 28-14 at the half to APPALACHIAN STATE ... they deserve to lose for scheduling a 1-AA team). I always looked forward to Saturday when my Dad and I would call each other following "game-changing" moments. We would talk an average of ten times through the course of a Saturday. College football Saturdays are one of my favorite parts of the year, but there is definitely something missing this year. I hope as I grow older, I can share the same joy for sport with my kids. Oh well, back to the games. Go Irish, Go Dawgs, and (for the love of pete!) C'mon Michigan, it's App St. for crying out loud. Until tomorrow. -Grease out.

2 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Nope, Michigan couldn't pull it out, which thrills me (the Irish fan) and hubby (the Ohio State fan) to end!

rejoice said...

Hi Grease. I live in Asheville and we are really proud of Applachian State. Mike liked it too. Mike's mom.
P.S. From an Appalachian State alum, I heard Ohio was trying to purchase Appalachian State tee shirts,but the school was not allowed to sell them. However, it is rumored some tee shirt factory is happy to make them for Ohio.

First stop home, next stop ...