Friday, March 30, 2007

Every silver lining has a dark cloud ...



Well, it looks as if my post yesterday about the perfect home may have been a bit pre-mature. Don’t get me wrong, the place is great – it just has one tiny flaw. I woke up this morning after a refreshing night in a very soft bed, and readied myself to take the perfect shower. The water was hot and plentiful (seriously, the shower head puts out enough water to wash horses … or really small elephants). I stepped in and began my day…… After about five minutes, the water began to cool slightly. No big deal, right? I just adjusted the hot cold mixture a bit and continued on. Ten seconds later, the heat went away. Now when I say away, I don’t mean that it gradually died down or the pressure began to drop – the water got cold – fast. Finding myself in this predicament a thousand times onboard aircraft carriers, I did what all good aviators do – I finished the shower in approximately 15 seconds. Shivering and very, very cold, I turned up the heat in my trailer to the max and tried to get the ice water off of me. Oh wait, did I mention that as the water got cold, it also changed colors to a nice burnt umber sort of color. I took a look at the water heater and discovered that I know absolutely nothing about water heaters (ask my sister about Thanksgiving, 2001 and she will confirm this fact). Needless to say, I was quite dismayed at the hot water situation, so I took my case to the Mayor. This is what they call the Army guy who owns all of the housing. He took one look at me and sent me to the KBR trailer. Not only does KBR control our food and bussing, they also own maintenance on the trailers. I filled out the required forms in triplicate, and expected to hear when a crew would be dispatched to the once perfect trailer. Once again, I was dismayed to see the nice lady (probably on her own IA from the DMV) half-smile at me and place my form on top of what looked like a New York City phonebooks worth of other forms. Beaten and still cold, I trudged off to work, with the knowledge that someday I may get hot water again – just not today. My friends at work told me not to worry about it, because it’s starting to get hot. They explained to me that the water was stored in above ground tanks that will begin to heat up soon, and a hot shower will be the least of my concerns. I reminded them that someday (this fall and winter) I WILL need some hot water again. They did not seem to care, mostly for two reasons. One, they did not get the Gucci one-man ‘wet’ trailers and were quite jealous, and two, they are both leaving within a month, so my trivial water issues are of little concern to them.

The day was not a total loss however. ‘Kenny’ and I had some good turnover, and he offered to sell me his TV and refrigerator upon his departure in three weeks. He’s also throwing in some folding chairs for good measure. So I will be able to sit, enjoy a cool beverage and watch TV as I try to thaw out after each morning’s shower. I believe I will place the TV in the den with a nice arrangement of chairs around it. The fridge will stay in the kitchen area.

All kidding aside, it was a very productive day. I learned a ton about my job, and realized the amazing scope of what the Coalition is undertaking here. I will be supporting the IAG, which is short for Iraqi Assistance Group. This command is a collection of teams that is spread throughout the country integrated with Iraqi forces. The teams are there as advisors to help the Iraqi units get up to speed on how business should be done. When it comes time to turn over the protection of the populous back to the Iraqis, the IAG will have played a major role in making that happen. Needless to say, the task is daunting. I have a responsibility to support literally hundreds of these small units all over the country. They may win the war by being with the people, but I will win my part by E-mailing and calling the people who are with the people. The good news is that these guys are onboard with the idea that I am their conduit to assistance, but that one of my brother EWO’s around the country may be the person who is actually hands-on with their problems. I have a lot to learn in the next three weeks, but I’m pretty confident that I can get it done (mostly because I get a three-week turnover, vice the four-day one most of the guys get). Okay, enough for tonight. Until tomorrow.
-Grease out.

No comments:

First stop home, next stop ...