Friday, May 4, 2007

Happy Birthday Megan ...

Today is one of those tough days. My daughter turned six today at 4:39 AM EDT (1:39 AM on the west coast, where she was born). As many times as it happens, missing special occasions never gets easier. In 12 years of service I’ve missed quite a few birthdays and almost all of my anniversaries. My family understands, they’re always supportive, but that doesn’t make it an easier day.

Megan was born May 4th, 2001 at Naval Hospital, Oak Harbor. Her WONDERFUL mother labored for 22 hours and pushed for three before giving birth to this 9 lb. 12 oz. wonder (If you’ve ever met my wife, you’d realize that the fact that she could contain a child that size is nothing short of amazing). The labor had been so long and intense, that the doctor had assumed that Megan was going to need some quick help when she was finally delivered. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit folks had been called in from their homes and were standing by waiting to help this child. When Megan was finally delivered (with a resounding ‘pop’ I might add), the doctor said what everyone in the room (except Karen) was thinking … “Oh, so that’s why it took so long.” So we woke up an entire team of highly trained professionals to come look at a perfectly healthy baby … I didn’t care. They handed Megan to Karen, and it was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. That lasted for about 15 seconds, before Karen announced to the room that someone needed to take the baby, as she was so exhausted she could not guarantee her grip on this ten pound Goliath.

After we rescued Megan from almost certain peril, the head nurse handed her to me and asked if I wanted to walk her down to the nursery. Now I’ve always been a confident guy, truly believing that I CAN do anything (an mindset shared by many a naval flyer – it’s kind of an invincibility complex that fades with time and experience), but I was truly terrified of the 40 foot walk to the nursery. You hold in your hands such a perfect being, untarnished by the imperfect world we live in, and you don’t want to screw up. It has never taken me longer to walk forty feet in my entire life, and I don’t think it ever will again. My daughter was perfect, and she had the same snow-white hair that she maintains to this day. As a parent, you love all your children unconditionally, but the first one seems extra-special. I just couldn’t believe that an imperfect being, such as me, could help create something so grand. Megan was then, is now and will always be my angel.

Happy Birthday Megan, I love you a ton and miss you so much it hurts. Be good to your Mom and help her out when the twins arrive.

-Grease out

1 comment:

ea6bflyr said...

Yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!!

First stop home, next stop ...