Friday, May 11, 2007

Ohm's Law and other annoying science stuff ...

The power went out today in the trailer. That’s not a huge surprise, the power goes out all the time, but this one got me thinking (nothing good can come from that). When I’m at home, the occasional power outage can be a real pain. My first job, when the power comes back, is to go around the house and reset all the clocks. Even with all the advances in technology, I still wind up resetting clocks. All these clocks that have this ‘auto set’ function have a small disclaimer that says, “Does not work in Florida or Virginia.” I’m kidding of course, but it seems that way. Now if the power stays off for a long time, then it can be kind of fun. Karen and I have spent many a night playing Rummy-Q by candle and flashlight. You’re almost sad when the power comes back, then you remember the dollars invested in the frozen food that is rapidly decaying and you don’t feel as sad anymore.

When the power goes out here, it’s a different story. I thought about it today and realized – I have NO CLOCKS TO RESET! When the power goes out in my ‘hooch, my biggest concern is the fact that the A/C has turned off, but I can live with that (at least for a while). When I’m at work, a power loss is like a bit of a snow day. With no computers or phones to keep us busy, we mostly just sit around and enjoy each others company. However, when the power stays off, it becomes a huge hassle. We do have a lot of work to do, and without computers or phones, we can’t get ANYTHING done. It’s a strange reversal of feelings about a random power loss. Like I said, it’s not always easy to come up with topics, but this one kind of fell in my lap this afternoon … literally. Moms enjoy your weekend, you deserve it. Until tomorrow.

-Grease out

No comments:

First stop home, next stop ...