Wednesday, May 2, 2007

What is it with Chuck Norris? ...

I try my hardest to make each post an original work (I know the Shakespeare thing again), so I never intended to do the Chuck post. I looked on all the other sandbox sailor blogs out there, and realized that almost all of them have dedicated a day to Mr. Norris … well, I couldn’t let you miss out on one of our most treasured pastimes, so here we go.

Some of you may have noticed the addition of the Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator to the side of the page. I feel I must explain the genesis of Chuck. I don’t know why, but soldiers in this part of the world have this strange affinity with the Chuck Norris Facts. When our group first arrived in Kuwait, one of the guys came back from the port-o-potty and told us that the inside of it was covered with ‘Chuck Norris Facts.’ For those of you who don’t know, there are several websites out there dedicated to all things Chuck (Warning: The generator on the page and the websites cross over in to the ‘R’ rated category, so no small people on the Chuck pages please … that means you Liz and MK … no looking at Chuck or Chuck will find you). People have this strange fascination with making outrageous statements about the Walker: Texas Ranger star. Things like: Chuck Norris invented water, Chuck doesn’t sleep, he waits and so on. I found the jokes in the port-o-potty amusing, but wondered why they were there. As we continued our journey into Iraq, we found that quite a few of the portable toilets were covered inside with Chuck Facts, including the one at the JCCS-1 command building. When I stopped by the command yesterday to teach the new class, I was shocked to see that the KBR folks had taken it upon themselves to CLEAN the inside of the port-o-john. This saddened me greatly, as I looked forward to my visits back to JCCS-1 HQ to see what new Chuck-isms were placed on the wall by the new class. Hopefully they will begin redecorating the walls soon, but until then I have the Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator on the page (We live in a bizarre world over here). I often wonder what he would think about it if he came over on an USO tour. Here is a country full of soldiers and sailors who scribble Chuck Facts on the walls of their toilets. I don’t know if he’d be honored, or really, really scared (Chuck doesn’t get scared … it must be the former). Either way, some days we have WAY too much time on our hands. Until tomorrow.

-Grease out.

P.S. If you’re trying to show the blog to someone in a PG status and you get an R Chuck quote, just refresh the page – you’ll get a new quote that should be more suitable.

3 comments:

ea6bflyr said...

Now I am deeply saddened by the loss of the Chuck Norris latrine.

Helen said...

I'm a little frightened that you took a picture from the inside of a latrine. Instead of a camera you should take a marker to put back some quotes. This way the newbies know the succession plan. And the most favored potty can be once again :)

Anonymous said...

OK...so what is it going to take for me to get an official Iraqi Chuck Norris latrine brought back to the states? Seriously...I want one. I challenge you...tell me what it would take to make it happen.

First stop home, next stop ...