Saturday, April 7, 2007

Blackhawks over Baghdad ...

Another first for me today, I flew via Blackhawk helicopter to Fallujah for some more meetings in my never-ending turnover. I’d love to show you some pictures of my helicopter ride, but seeing as it all happened at 4:15 AM, it was kind of dark. The Sikorsky file photo will have to do.

The Army has taken to flying these flights at night to ‘cover their tracks’ – ie. if they can’t see you, they can’t shoot at you. Those of you who know me know my love/hate relationship with helos. I love that they are the folks who are coming to pick me up from a downed aircraft, but I HATE riding in them. Thankfully, I got a seat near the front, so I could see where we were going. It’s kind of a bizarre ride, they only stay on deck long enough to offload and onload passengers. As soon as I was buckled in, we were gone. The flight was relatively uneventful, and we arrived in Fallujah a few minutes later. Kenny knew our contact, ‘Jim’ from a previous ship, and I knew him from going through training with him, so the introductions weren’t new.

I do have to send thanks out to Jim for waking up at 4:00 AM to pick us up. He asked what we wanted to do first, and Kenny replied, ’A nap would be pretty good.’ So that was my experience of the day. There isn’t much to do in Fallujah, so we slept for a few hours, met with all the people we wanted to, slept a few more hours and jumped on an available helo to get us home in time for bed. Kenny made an observation that quite a few Aviators will agree with – ‘Sleep ‘till you’re hungry, eat ‘till you’re tired, repeat.’ I’d love to have more pictures to show you, but I honestly saw very little that was picture worthy, just a bed and a trailer. With that said, it’s time for more sleep. Until tomorrow.

-Grease out.

1 comment:

ea6bflyr said...

Geez, I'm starting to get a bit jealous with all the jet-setting you are doing....I am but a humble fobbit.

First stop home, next stop ...