Wednesday, April 25, 2007

White noise ...

It’s amazing how attached we get to the white noise in our lives. I used to explain to my wife that, while onboard ship, the only time you would get nervous was when it got quiet. There was so much background noise, that silence was a signal of something wrong (usually nothing, but there were times when the silence meant there was a real problem onboard). This could be compared to a parent’s ‘sixth sense’ about their kids. When the children are quiet, they’re usually up to no good.

Well, I’ve lived in a house devoid of white noise for quite some time now, but that all changed this evening. My haji friends finally got it right … sort of. My routine has been to come home, turn on the TV, run the auto-program, shake my head in disgust and turn it off. Well, tonight I actually heard English voices come out of my TV. I have been graced with six whole channels of AFN (Armed Forces Network) goodness. They don’t come in clear yet, but it’s a start. It definitely completes the room. Now I have a reason to sit in the family room area. I was just able to enjoy the Simpsons for the first time in months. It’s amazing what small things will do to brighten your mood (not that it wasn’t pretty bright as it is – it’s been a good day).

I heard a great comment today, “Constant change creates the illusion of progress". I feel that way sometimes here. We are constantly changing how we do things here, and I wonder what effect it’s having on the local populous. Recently, you all heard in the paper about the brouhaha regarding the wall being constructed to separate the Shiite and Sunni neighborhoods in southern Baghdad. The comments we heard from the Prime Minister included, “The U.S. did this without consulting us” and “This wall must come down.” That’s funny, I seem to remember the wall being the PRIME MINISTER’S IDEA. It’s odd what politicians need to do to remain popular with the people (something tells me the PM needs to be doing a bit more … maybe spending more time working on the situation in Iraq, and less time entertaining Middle Eastern leaders in Egypt). I found Gen. Odierno's comments on the matter interesting:

It is only when different groups are convinced that their legitimate objectives can be achieved through a political process that violence in this country will substantially abate.

Essentially, if we can get them to stop killing each other (and us) for just a second, maybe they’ll realize that they can accomplish more through dialogue than through I.E.D.’s, suicide vests and car bombs. It’s a grand plan (we hear ‘Fahrd al-Qanoon’ on a daily basis working around the headquarters), but all grand plans require one tiny little part … the people have to believe in the plan, or you’re just spinning your wheels. The soldiers, sailors and airmen on the ground believe in the plan, it’s the other guys I’m worried about. Well, I’m going to explore my six channels. Until tomorrow.

-Grease out.


1 comment:

Anon76 said...

Did you feel a little Poltergeist-y when you watched the TV every day? As long as you didn't feel the need to talk to anyone INSIDE the TV, I guess you're okay. Packages are on the way -- new books in case your six channels disappear:)

First stop home, next stop ...